Thursday nights look a lot different now.

13 Jul

The past decade has brought with it a lot of changes in how I spend my evenings. Sure, they’re not all bad, but it’s startling to look back on those days and compare them to now.

Ten Years Ago

• I was out six to seven nights a week singing karaoke in bars all over the area.
  • Sleep was overrated.
  • I was only responsible for one person, me.My Life In Mommyland

Then

Today

• I’m lucky if I get out one night a week month.
  • I haven’t sung a note in public in probably eight years.
  • Sleep is one of the most precious things I have.
  • I am responsible for other lives (how is that even possible?).

My Life In Mommyland

Now it’s someone else’s dream

We went out last Thursday for dinner and there was live music. It was horrible and I couldn’t believe that these people were getting paid to preform. It was then that the ways my life had changed came a smacked me in the face.

Instead of being in front of an audience singing my heart out, I’m making sure that the kids eat dinner while listening to other people live out what used to be my dream.

Do I have regrets? I do, but they’re not the ones you might think I have. I don’t regret settling down and starting a family, not even for a second. I regret not finding a way to keep singing. Oh well, I guess I’ll just keep rocking out in the car, the kids don’t seem to mind…yet!

How has life changed for you in the past decade?

signature
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

7 Responses to “Thursday nights look a lot different now.”

1. stephanie anderson July 13, 2012 at 8:57 am #

You used to sing Karaoke 6 nights a week? I feel like I don’t’ believe this!
    stephanie anderson recently posted..What the WHATMy Profile

2. Lisa July 13, 2012 at 8:58 am #

OMG–you look like you’re 15 in those pictures!

Luckily for us, we’re introverts and didn’t go out much even before marriage and kids.
    Lisa recently posted..Oxford Area School District~Special Education Woes Continue & Special Education Director ResignsMy Profile

3. Steph July 13, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I think a karaoke night is in order. I need to see Mychal sing!
    Steph recently posted..5 Quick Steps to a Beautiful Bathroom MakeoverMy Profile

• Mychal B. July 13, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Those days are long gone my friend.

4. Eve Donalds July 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

My life has changed a bit too. I had a day job that I loved so much but it had a lot of pressure. I quit it it and concentrated on my online job which enables me to spend many hours with my lovely family.
    Eve Donalds recently posted..Jimmy Kimmel LiveMy Profile

5. Christine September 12, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

I love the karaoke bars in Okinawa… but that was years ago. I can’t seem to find a decent one now. On the other hand that might be better for everyone else, since I can not carry a tune to save my life!
    Christine recently posted..12 years laterMy Profile