The past decade has brought with it a lot of changes in how I spend my evenings. Sure, they’re not all bad, but it’s startling to look back on those days and compare them to now.
Ten Years Ago
- I was out six to seven nights a week singing karaoke in bars all over the area.
- Sleep was overrated.
- I was only responsible for one person, me.
- I’m lucky if I get out one night a
- I haven’t sung a note in public in probably eight years.
- Sleep is one of the most precious things I have.
- I am responsible for other lives (how is that even possible?).
Now it’s someone else’s dream
We went out last Thursday for dinner and there was live music. It was horrible and I couldn’t believe that these people were getting paid to preform. It was then that the ways my life had changed came a smacked me in the face.
Instead of being in front of an audience singing my heart out, I’m making sure that the kids eat dinner while listening to other people live out what used to be my dream.
Do I have regrets? I do, but they’re not the ones you might think I have. I don’t regret settling down and starting a family, not even for a second. I regret not finding a way to keep singing. Oh well, I guess I’ll just keep rocking out in the car, the kids don’t seem to mind…yet!
How has life changed for you in the past decade?